Monday, May 23, 2016


Chris Kemp

Taxation Blog Post

5/23/16

The topic I chose to research was “Are Americans Overtaxed.”  I have learned a lot about taxes during my research ranging from the history of taxes to the different types of taxation.  This project has allowed me to further my knowledge about a very important aspect of society and a part of society I will soon have to deal with.  I began my presentation by giving the definition of the word taxes.  The word taxes means, “a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for special facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.  I proceeded to ask a few questions in relation to taxes being burdensome and if we didn’t have taxes, how would the federal government raise revenue.  My next slide covered the three main types of taxes; the progressive tax, the regressive tax, and the flat tax.  The United States’ income tax is a progressive tax.  I proceeded to cover the numerous pros and cons for the flat tax, which is a tax where everyone pays the same amount, no matter your income level.   After covering the pros and cons of a flat tax, I covered the pros and cons of taxes in general.  One positives of taxes is that they are the government’s main source of revenue and finance things such as schools, police, highways, and an array of social programs.  One con of taxes is that high taxes can lead to a decrease in economic activity as well as a decrease in economic growth.  I then dedicated a slide to the 16th Amendment which made a huge impact in relation to taxation, considering it gave Congress the ability to levy an income tax.  There are numerous types of taxes ranging from a federal income tax to a payroll tax and even a value-added tax.  The different types of taxes were the main concern of my next slide.  I then dove into the history of taxes ranging from the colonial era, to the Bush era and everything in-between.  Before discussing the history of taxes in great detail, I gave a quick recap of the Boston Tea Party and its implications in relation to taxation without representation.  Tax rates are the amount by which a person or corporation can be taxed/how much you owe to the federal government.  There are numerous ways to present a tax rate which are listed in my presentation.  Tax policy is the choice of the government as to what taxes to levy, in what amounts and to whom.  I proceeded to explain what microeconomics and macroeconomics were in relation to tax policy.  I then showed two data tables, one of tax rates in 2013 and the other of tax rates in 1862 in order to show how rates have changed over the years.  After further researching the topic of taxation I found a few observations from the Tax Foundation and other sources that provided very interesting information.  For example, very low tax rates on the wealthier demographic seem to be correlated with unsustainable boosts in the economy that inevitably crash or bust.  Republicans and Democrats have very different views in relation to taxation.  Republicans favor lower taxes for big business in order to benefit the wealthier demographic.  On the other hand Democrats favor tax cuts for the middle class as well as for smaller businesses.  I concluded my presentation with a short video explaining taxes as well as a few final questions and a sources slide.  This project has greatly expanded my knowledge in relation to taxation. 
Sources:
´  kids.laws.com/16th-amendment




No comments:

Post a Comment